Sunday, July 6, 2008

From our house to Bauhaus

I have finally set aside some time to work on planning my trip to Germany.This past week I have contacted the directors of each of the Bauhaus centers in Weimar, Dessau and Berlin. I have set up time meeting with architects in Berlin to discuss the influence of the Bauhaus on contemporary architecture and art.

My wife and I have rented a flat in Prenzlaur Berg in the eastern part of Berlin. We stayed in a hotel several years ago in this section of the city. We were excited about this new adventure, this new experience in one of the most interesting cities of the 20th century. Now we were going back to dig a little deeper into past, the years between the two wars and to find out how the Bauhaus was a product of its own time and influenced European artists and students in the 1920s. Do architects still address these principles? Do art educators still use some of its methods? How effective is the techniques of the Bauhaus in the 21st century?

No comments: