Friday, July 25, 2008

Back in Berlin

Finally, we are here. The trip from L.A. to Berlin was a little long and required more than your average effort to finally touch down in our apartment, but we are here and die Wohnung ist sehr shon.

Schedule through the weekend:

Friday: Bauhaus Archives
Saturday: Bauhaus Museum, interviews
Sunday: Writing, fahrrad in Berlin

I am juggling a few ideas about visiting the Bauhaus in Berlin. I think we will take a look at a few exhibitions of handwork and do a few interviews pertaining to the lasting effect of the Bauhaus philosophy in contemporary German art and handwork. In my research from my laptop in L.A., I did not find much discussion about the 1920s Bauhaus having any influence on 21st century art in Germany or abroad.

But I am also looking to go a little deeper, take a look at the schools and the universities to get an idea or feeling that discipline-based methods, those ultimately taught at the Bauhaus, are still used. This is my real research.

No comments: